Woodstock: Peace, Music & Memories – Day Two

Day Two – Saturday, Aug. 16, 1969
“What we have in mind is breakfast in bed for 400,000.”—Wavy Gravy

Saturday morning dawned soggy and gray, and Michael Launder, 17, from Albion, New York, and his friend, Billy, hitched a ride on the trunk of a car covered in people. “There were about eight guys inside and another five or six sitting on the hood and trunk, so we just jumped on,” says Launder. “When we finally reached the festival, it was very surprising to see the state troopers with their ‘Smokey’ hats off, hanging with the rest of us.”

Tommy Hayes made his way through fields and over downed fences following the crowd. The largest audience he’d ever been part of was at Madison Square Garden, and he had no idea how big this crowd could be; he just knew that it was a whole lot of people. “There were still some grassy areas in the field, so we found a spot and sat down. People were passing around pot and wine, and I was getting comfortable, digging on the music.”

Area couple Nick Ercoline of Middletown, N.Y., and Bobbi Kelly of Pine Bush, both 20, were aware of all the Woodstock happenings through local newspapers, but never actually planned on going.

“It wasn’t until Friday night when we heard on the radio that ‘if you’re planning on going to Woodstock, do not come. The New York State Thruway is closed,’ that we decided, with a few friends, that we just had to go check it out,” says Kelly.

John De Lorenzo decided to go wash in nearby Pucky’s Pond but found it was full of moss. “Someone told me about a fresh water lake down on Hurd Road. As we made our way there, some of the locals were in their front yards being negative. They were blaming us for ‘ruining everything,’ but to the contrary, these very same people were offering us food and water on our way back — that’s when my Woodstock epiphany began.”

Babette Brackett made blueberry pancakes. She fed her family and many others until the batter was gone. “A guy came by with a gallon of milk insisting that our kids might need it later,” she remembers.

Trudy Morgal went out amongst the masses to get water for her friends. “I filled the jug but on the way back, people were like, ‘Oh, man. Is that water?’ ‘Oh, can I … ’ and I was giving drinks to everyone. By the time I got back, I had none left … We were all there to help each other.”

After Friday, the concessions were out of food, so Lisa Law and the Hog Farm responded to the need. “Wavy [Gravy] got up on stage and declared, ‘What we have in mind is breakfast in bed for 400,000,’” Lisa remembers. “That was the moment we started serving paper cups full of granola to the people in front of the stage. At one point I got hold of the stage mike and explained that if people would walk though the forest where the arts and crafts booths were [supposed to be], they could join the lines being served hot food by the Farmers. Tom [my husband] gasped and couldn’t believe I’d just said that. He envisioned the entire gathering all getting up at the same time.”

“We had open flames and were toasting oats using big stainless steel pots and pans, but soon that became hopeless,” remembers Jahanara. “We brought a ton of vegetables with us that we were serving sautéed from the beginning, but there wasn’t time for that either, and by Saturday we couldn’t get to Yasgur’s dairy store anymore. You couldn’t get anywhere, so we cooked the bulgur and started dishing out sliced raw vegetables on the wheat and raw oats with honey and powdered milk on top.

Leave a Reply