By Susan Sliwicki
More than 25 collectible guitars including Les Pauls, Stratocasters and a Flying V are up for grabs at Backstage Auctions' 2014 Rock N' Pop Auction.
The 750-lot auction also includes concert T-shirts, photos and negatives (with full copyright transfer), posters and passes, autographs and artist-signed items, RIAA awards and vinyl records related to artists ranging from Aerosmith to ZZ Top.
While there are plenty of big-ticket items on the block, roughly two-thirds of the auction features budget-friendly lots with starting bids $100 or less.
The online auction's closing process will begin at 2 p.m. ET Sunday, Oct. 5, 2014. Click here to browse the auction.
Notable lots (with starting bids listed in parentheses) include:
• A variety of guitars owned and used by Derek Holt of the Climax Blues Band, including a 1977 Musicman Stingray bass guitar ($4,500); a 1969 Fender jazz bass guitar ($4,000); a 1968 Geoff Gale Flying V bass guitar ($3,000); a Stratocaster Hybrid Pink Floyd Tribute guitar ($2,000); a 1960s-era Futurama Freshman guitar ($750); and a 1958/1959 Selmer lap steel guitar ($500).
• A rare braille concert program printed for The Rolling Stones' April 22, 1979, concert to benefit the Canadian National Institute for the Blind signed by 13 people, including Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Ian McLagan and Stones tour manager Alan Dunn ($2,000).
• A rare 1974 Neil Young handwritten lyric sheet for "Love Is A Rose" ($2,500).
• The privately pressed James Taylor and Carly Simon 7-inch single "Thank You, Lou," which the couple wrote and recorded in 1977 as a thank-you gift for Lou Adler after staying at the music mogul's home ($1,000).
• An 18-song demo tape by Van Morrison for Warner Bros. ($300). Cuts include "Ballerina" and "The Way Young Lovers Do" (later on 1968's "Astral Weeks"); "And It Stoned Me," "Caravan," "Come Running," "These Dreams of You" and "Brand New Day" (1970's "Moondance"); "Domino" and "If I Ever Needed Someone" (1970's "His Band And The Street Choir"); and "Wild Night" and "When That Evening Sun Goes Down" (1971's "Tupelo Honey") ( bid: $300).
• A set of four RIAA Platinum Record Awards for the 1978 KISS "Peter Criss," "Ace Frehley," "Gene Simmons" and "Paul Stanley" solo albums ($2,000).
• A collection of 1,200 private black-and-white negatives from KISS' 1980 Australia tour ($5,000).
Backstage Auctions draws its lots from collections of musicians and industry professionals; this auction's featured consignors include Climax Blues Band founder and bassist Derek Holt; Santana production manager (and longtime employee of Bill Graham Presents) Steve Kahn; noted 1960s photographer Ian Wright; graphic artist, album cover designer and documentary producer/director Kosh; and record producers Val Garay, Greg Droman, Tom Werman and Greg Calbi.
For more information or to bid, visit www.backstageauctions.com.