Kidney stones have disrupted dates for ZZ Top's upcoming tour, but they aren't expected to disrupt the trio's performances at the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
During a routine physical, bassist Dusty Hill's doctor discovered the stones and advised Hill to undergo surgery immediately to remove the stones and to avoid more serious complications later on, according to a news release.
The tour pairing ZZ Top with guitarist Jeff Beck was supposed to start July 25, 2014, but it now will begin Aug. 8, 2014, to allow Hill two weeks' time to recuperate. He is expected to make a full recovery, the release said. ZZ Top will perform Aug. 6 at the Sturgis rally.
In a publicity statement issued this week, Hill channeled lines from bluesman Robert Johnson's "Stones in My Passway."
"I got stones in my passway ... but my doctor says not for long," Hill said.
"We're booked and we're bound to go," he added. "'I had stones in my passway, but you know those old boulders couldn't last;I had stones in my passway but those stones will soon be in my past.'"
The delay affects concerts scheduled for July 25 in Morton, Minn.; July 26: in West Bend, Wis.; July 27 in Cincinnati; July 29 in Louisville, Ky., July 30 in Asheville, N.C., and Aug. 1 at MusikFest in Bethlehem, Pa. No announcements have been issued about whether any of these performances will be rescheduled.
The most up-to-date list of ZZ Top and Jeff Beck tour dates are:
• Aug. 8: Ogren Park, Missoula
• Aug. 9: Chateau Ste. Michelle, Woodinville, Wash.
• Aug. 10: Cuthbert Amphitheatre, Eugene, Ore.
• Aug. 12: The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, Calif.
• Aug. 13: Greek Amphitheatre, Los Angeles
• Aug. 15: Ironstone Amphitheatre, Murphys, Calif.
• Aug. 16: The Joint, Las Vegas
• Aug. 17: AVA Amphtitheatre, Tucson
• Aug. 19: Sandia Casino, Albuquerque, N.M.
• Aug. 20: Fiddlers Green Amphitheatre, Englewood, Colo.
• Aug. 22: Zoo Amphitheatre, Oklahoma City
• Aug 23: Starlight Theater, Kansas City, Mo.
• Aug. 24: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, Mo.
• Aug. 27: DTE Energy Music Theatre, Clarkston, Mich.
• Aug. 28: Ravinia Festival, Highland Park, Ill.
• Aug. 29: Seneca Allegany Casino, Salamanca, N.Y.
• Aug. 30: Concert venue at Harrah's, Atlantic City, N.J.
• Aug. 31: MGM Grand Theater at Foxwoods, Mashantucket, Conn.
• Sept. 2: Blue Hills Bank Paviliion, Boston
• Sept. 3: Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Md.
• Sept. 4: Nikon at Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, N.Y.
• Sept. 6: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Alpharetta, Ga.
• Sept. 7: St. Augustine Amphitheater, St. Augustine, Fla.
• Sept. 9: Cruzan Amphitheater, West Palm Beach, Fla.
• Sept. 10: Midflorida Credit Union Amphiteater, Tampa, Fla.
• Sept. 12: Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, The Woodlands, Texas
• Sept. 13: Winstar Casino, Thackerville, Okla.
For more information, visit www.zztop.com