Get vinyl, CDs, box sets, collectibles and Goldmine-only exclusives in the Goldmine shop!
October 13, 2022-New York, NY—A live performance video and track, “Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground” from Willie Nelson’s upcoming release through Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, Willie Nelson Live At Budokan is available to watch below.
Willie Nelson Live At Budokan, the first official album release of Willie's epic performance at the fabled Nippon Budokan in 1984 will be released on Friday, November 18 and available in digital and 2-CD/1-DVD configurations.
A 2-LP 12" vinyl pressing of Willie Nelson Live At Budokan will also be available exclusively at independent record stores as part of Record Store Day's Black Friday event on November 25. Watch the first clip from the release as Willie & Family tackle “Good Hearted Woman,” a song that Willie co-wrote with Waylon Jennings. Watch below.
While Willie Nelson Live At Budokan has been previously officially available as a LaserDisc in Japan (which is now long-out-of-print with low-grade bootleg copies treasured by collectors), this legendary concert performance of Willie, and his backing Family band, firing on all cylinders is enjoying its first official widespread release this fall.
A broadcast edition of Willie Nelson Live At Budokan is part of special programming premiering on PBS stations beginning Saturday, November 26, 2022 (check local listings).
Produced by Willie's longtime harmonica player Mickey Raphael (whose production credits include Naked Willieand The Highwaymen box set) and mixed by Tony Castle, Willie Nelson Live At Budokan has been sonically upgraded to showcase the American pop-country icon and his ensemble in Tokyo for the first time, connecting with an audience of Japanese and ex-pat fans through the universal power, truth and beauty of the music in Willie's repertoire.
Willie's ensemble that night (February 23, 1984) featured his sister Bobbie Nelson on piano, Paul English on drums, Grady Martin on guitar, Jody Payne on vocals and guitar, Bee Spears on bass and Mickey Raphael on harmonica. The new production and mix of Willie Nelson Live At Budokan offers fans a front row seat at one of Willie's most exciting shows during an historic period in his career.
Among his autobiographical works, Willie has co-authored books about his band members including Sister Bobbie: True Tales of the Family Band (2020) and the much-anticipated Me and Paul: Untold Tales of a Fabled Friendship (2022), which was released through Harper Horizon on September 20. Willie's drummer, Paul English, passed away, at age 87, on February 11, 2020. His beloved Sister Bobbie passed away, at age 91, on March 10, 2022.
In his notes for this release, Willie says, "I believe that music, not only country music, but I believe that music is a great communicator. I think that it crosses all boundaries and I think that the people, regardless of whether they understand what I'm saying or not, they would feel what I'm saying and they will hear it in whatever language they are listening. I think that is the great thing about music."
Willie Nelson and Family are currently on tour with upcoming shows including Outlaw Fest concerts, and more.
Willie Nelson Live At Budokan
1. Whiskey River (J. B. Shinn III)
2. Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston/Raymond Evans)
3. Good Hearted Woman (Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson)
4. Down Yonder (L. Wolfe Gilbert)
5. If You've Got The Money I've Got The Time (Lefty Frizzell/Jim Beck)
6. Workin' Man Blues (Merle Haggard)
7. Help Me Make It Through The Night (Kris Kristofferson)
8. Me and Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson/Fred Foster)
9. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (Fred Rose)
10. Under The Double Eagle (Traditional arranged by Willie Nelson)
11. Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)
12. Georgia On My Mind (Hoagy Carmichael/Stuart Gorell)
13. All Of Me (Seymour Simons/Gerald Marks)
14. Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael/Mitchell Parish
15. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (Sharon Vaughan)
16. Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys (Ed Bruce/Patsy Bruce)
17. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground (Willie Nelson)
18. On The Road Again (Willie Nelson)
19. Always On My Mind (John Christopher/Wayne Thompson/Mark James)
20. Will The Circle Be Unbroken (A.P. Carter)
21. Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line (Jimmy Bryant)
22. Who'll Buy My Memories (Willie Nelson)
23. Till I Gain Control Again (Rodney Crowell)
24. Without A Song (Vincent Youmans/Billy Rose/Edward Eliscu)
25. Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) (Bobby Emmons/Chips Moman)
26. Whiskey River (J. B. Shinn III)
27. Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line (Jimmy Bryant)
# # # # #
Willie Nelson & Legacy Recordings
In October 2011, Willie Nelson entered into an historic new record deal with Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, marking a label homecoming for Nelson, who, from 1975-1993, had cut a phenomenal string of top-selling singles and albums for Columbia Records, beginning with 1975's seminal smash Red Headed Stranger. New titles by the artist under the Legacy imprint include newly recorded songs and performances as well as archival releases, personally curated by the artist, drawn from all phases of his career including his recordings for RCA Records and others. Since signing with Legacy, Willie Nelson has sold more than 1 million albums for the label.
Nelson's album releases for Legacy Recordings have included:
A Beautiful Time (2022)
The Willie Nelson Family (2021)
That's Life (2021) (Grammy nomination: Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album)
Last Rose of Spring (2020)
Ride Me Back Home (2019) (Grammy: Best Country Solo Performance, "Ride Me Back Home")
My Way (2018) (Grammy: Best Traditional Pop Solo Album)
Last Man Standing (2018)
Willie Nelson and the Boys: Willie's Stash, Vol. 2 (2017)
God's Problem Child (2017)
For The Good Times: A Tribute To Ray Price (2016)
Summertime:Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin (2016) (Grammy: Best Traditional Pop Solo Album)
Django and Jimmie (2015)
December Day: Willie's Stash, Vol. 1 (2014)
Band of Brothers (2014)
To All The Girls... (2013)
Let's Face The Music And Dance (2013)